Social media marketing is ideal for promoting your iPhone or iPad app. For any developer who wants their app to sell, it can no longer be ignored. You can reach large numbers of people who are actively talking about apps. And there are no advertising costs like with traditional advertising.
Twitter, Facebook, app forums, and more have exploded in popularity so now people all over the world are talking about apps around the clock. Your goal is to make sure you are a part of that conversation (and not to be left out!).
But knowing where to start with social media to promote your app can be tricky. There are so many options, it can overwhelm developers who are not sure where to focus their efforts. The reward – in terms of more visibility, new customers, and increased sales – is worth it, so here are tips on using social media to get people talking about your app.
What social media sites should you use? Here are some to start with:
- Twitter – write short updates to share with your followers on this super-popular micro-blogging site
- Facebook – more than just for finding friends, connect with iPhone users by setting up a page for your app and getting people to “like” you
- App forums – there are many online discussion boards focused on apps where you can tap into a community and find new customers
- Blogs – thanks to the comments that you can leave on posts, blogs have become more than just one person talking: they are very social and can let you talk with the blogger or others interested in apps
Start by creating free accounts on the most popular social media websites and set up your profile. Be sure to upload a profile image, such as your app icon. When you work on your profile, make sure to put in a short bio describing your app. And, link to your app website.
With Twitter and Facebook, one key to getting more followers and fans is to keep updating your accounts with interesting and relevant posts. Twitter only lets you enter 140 characters, so the updates do not need to be long. It can be tricky to keep coming up with ideas of what to write, though, so here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Start posting before your app is live and update followers on how development is going
- Build excitement for the launch by previewing features of the app
- Link to articles relevant to the topic of your app
- Promote your app by linking to it in the App Store
- Announce a limited-time sale
- Give tips for your game or highlight special features
- Ask customers for feedback
- Engage with others to ask for reviews or feedback
How have you used social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and more to promote your app? Share your tips and ideas in the comments below.